// Letter from the director

The School of Art in Malaga was created under RD (law) of October 31, 1849 by which all teachings were reorganized. These schools were under the direction of the Academies also founded at the same time. The link went further, according to Article 49 of the Regulation, all teachers of the schools were original members of the Academies.

Since it began its journey in the year 1851/1852 the School of Arts, under different names and curricula, has always been dedicated to the training of young artists from Málaga. In the inaugural speech by the Marques of Paniega in January 20th 1851, he had a very good reception from the city as enrollment was completed within only 10 to 12 days, leaving even a long waiting list.
The school was born as “Escuela de Bellas Artes”. Secondary or minor studies led to the formation of workers. However, the cloister was always prepared, regardless of the sacrifices, to respond to the demands of Malaga society.

Thus, during the first decades of activity the School was dedicated mainly to the training of workers specializing in different trades and arts which responded to the needs of a booming industry, that had to compete with foreign products and on the other hand had to meet the inspirations of many youngsters from Malaga to become painters and artists, although that was not the purpose for which it was originally created.

In this sense we must understand the proposals for reform of one of the first directors of the School, D. Bernardo Ferrandiz, representing a turning point in the particular history of our School. In the 1870´s, Ferrandiz decided to further develop studies en relation to artistic activities while creating what “Schools of Fine Arts” were called.
Subjects such as Colorful and Composition, Marina Landscape or Artistic Anatomy became part of the offer of the School which allowed Malaga to study also painting with figures from the beginning such as Ferrándiz himself, Degrain Muñoz, Moreno Carbonero, Ocon, Nogales, Denis and others well known.

With the beginning of the twentieth century a series of reforms took place. In 1900 the school was renamed the “School of Arts and Industry” and in 1906 it began to officially create the first workshops as response to a high demand for practical lessons.

In 1910 a new reform again changed the name to “School of Arts and Crafts and Industrial Expertise”, simultaneously those two classes would from now on definitively be separated in 1924. From that time on the school would be renamed “Artistic Arts and Crafts” and was separated from Industrial Expertise.

With these reforms it seemed that the school was definitely framed in the field of artistic professions; however the faculty continued to listen to the demands coming from society. Thus the plan of 1910, which was kept alive until the beginning of the 80s in the 20th century allowed the formation of many local artists through that teaching which remained in subjects such as Artistic Drawing, Natural or Colored Drawing and Composition.

In the field of art crafts there has always been an adaptation to the demands of the city. In the nineteenth century famous lithographers such as Rafael Alcalá Joaquín Gutiérrez Díaz were trained and performed at our school. Several generations of graphic arts professionals scattered throughout Spain and the USA. Later, with the establishment of the Degree in Applied Arts it gave answer to the demand for new professionals such as Decorators and Advertising specialists, but never forgetting the classics trades and crafts which in recent years have enjoyed the presence and teaching by Mr. Suso de Marcos.

Years later, the curriculum of 1963 completely changed the structure of those apprenticeships. The schools were renamed “School of Applied Arts and Crafts” and with duration of a five year study, spread over three years of joint studies and two years of a specialization chosen by the student. After completing those studies, it was required to conduct a review of revalidation and once passed, it would allow obtaining the Degree in Applied Arts and Crafts in regards to it specializing.

Posteriormente la LOGSE se fue implantando de manera progresiva al mismo tiempo que se extinguía el plan de 1963. A partir de ese momento las escuelas pasaron a tener la denominación de Escuelas de Arte y se comenzó a impartir el Bachillerato Artístico en sus dos modalidades, Artes Plásticas y Artes Aplicadas, así como los Ciclos Formativos de Artes Plásticas y Diseño de Grado Medio y Grado Superior, con una gran oferta educativa.

The School over the years and since its implementation in our centers has undergone changes in its structure and its names. Currently the School of Art teaches Design and Image.

The workshops in Art and Design have had and continue to have wide acceptance by our students. Thanks to the varied educational offer, there exists a wide range of specialties and once completed those studies, students can pursue higher education or university.
More over it should be noted that the labor market has a wide acceptance of our formation of students accompanied through training in companies and the employment of students.

We are getting high acknowledgement in the city of Málaga, in the province of Málaga and in Andalusia. We are the third, largest school of Andalusia in size and number of students. We have a high recognition of educational excellence, thanks to prizes and awards won in recent years by our students.

The changes in society have led to substantial changes in our academic performances. The increasingly frequent use of information, technologies and communication has led to integrating digital technologies and their application in the classroom. Its increasingly demanded by the students and the companies where these students might have their future.

Dominated by the visual and digital image, the immediacy of access to information creates a demand for professionals in the arts and design field with being highly educated in computer systems and programs associated with design and image. All this is kept in mind without forgetting the traditional crafts and the artistic manufacturing as well as the sensitivity and creativity of these future professionals.

The educational and social function of the school is still the same that it was 100 years ago. We train students in their respect and appreciation for the artistic expressions of the various arts. They also trained so that they themselves can perform and manage complex projects requiring high artistic, technical and technological knowledge and have sufficient skills and artistic skills so that they can direct themselves to works of art.

So much we talked about the past and the present of the School of Art San Telmo but what about the future that lies ahead of us.

The Ministry of Education of the Government of Andalusia announced on the 2nd of April 2014 the introduction for the upcoming course of higher artistic education design in Malaga, in the fields of graphic design and fashion design. These superior teachings that have been demanded for a long time, both by the schools and its students will soon be taught at the School of Art and put the city of Malaga at the head of the educational offerings of artistic character of Andalusia. We become the province with the largest and most comprehensive educational offer; we are placing Malaga society in a privileged position when it comes to teaching and performing those disciplines.

This higher artistic education has a duration of four years, equivalent to 240 ECTS credits. In addition to the academic training, it includes an internship that can be made in countries of the European Union and a Final Project by the student.

The Art School San Telmo faces a promising future, not without difficulties and obstacles, but we are excited about the professionals who work with us to give the best of ourselves to our students. Our expectations are high to our Malaga students but I am convinced that the school will live up to these expectations.

Today, the School relives times of change and times of crisis. But in the same way as its predecessors, the commitment of the cloister with Malaga society and shaping their young is still intact.

Juan Martín Segura Campos.
Director